Moriah celebrated its 200th anniversary in 2013 and is considered to be one of Guilford County’s oldest landmarks. On November 22, 1813, Robert Gilbreath donated 50 rods (one rod = 16.5 feet) of land to the Moriah Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The Amick, Kirkman and Gilbreath families worshipped in a log schoolhouse on the property until the building was destroyed by a fire and a new frame structure was built around 1829. Rev. John Coe became the first pastor; in 1853 a deed for 4-1/2 acres of land adjoining the original tract was granted and the church building was moved onto this new tract, leaving the original land as the church cemetery. In 1914 a new church building was built which consisted of a sanctuary and several Sunday School rooms. In 1925-1926 the first parsonage was built on the church property. In 1948 part of the original frame church building was declared unsafe for Sunday School use, removed and replaced in 1949 with a two-story masonry education building, later named the Moser-Cox Memorial Building. In 1953 the old frame sanctuary had deteriorated so badly from termites that removal was necessary and a new sanctuary was built in 1954. The stained glass window from the old sanctuary was divided up into two parts and placed at the front and back of the new sanctuary. In 1956-1957, plans were made to replace the old frame parsonage with a new brick parsonage to be built on land donated by D. B. Pegram and H. H. Livengood. In 1963, The Little Chapel was constructed by the Upper Room Sunday School Class in miniature on church property directly across the road from the church. Over the years, this has been a popular place for folks to stop and visit, to take a moment for quiet meditation and to leave a written note in the chapel journal. In 1968 due to a phenomenal growth in membership, a new educational building was added. In 2001-2002 the sanctuary was renovated and a new lobby link connected all three buildings; an elevator was added for easy access.
Over the years, Moriah has been a mission-driven congregation. The Methodist Men are known for their Brunswick Stew fundraiser; the present women’s Helping Hands Circle is known for their monthly hot dog sale fundraiser which has raised over $100,000 for numerous community missions since 2010. Both groups strive to be the “hands and feet of Christ” in our community. Our Moriah folks have always supported our missions and donated their time and funds generously. The Moriah youth over the years have contributed to the life of Moriah through mission trips, plays, and music and are our bright future.
“Remember the past, appreciate the present, and be challenged by the future.”
Quote by Rev. John Lowder, August 26, 1984